Free School Meal Eligibility
Reception, Year 1 and 2
All Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 pupils in state-funded schools can have free school meals. This is known as “universal entitlement”.
If you think you receive one of the qualifying benefits we recommend that you still apply. This will mean your child’s school does not miss out on important funding. It may also mean your child will continue to receive free meals after the end of Year 2.
If your child has been receiving universal free school meals and is approaching the end of Year 2, please apply for free school meals using the link below after 1 July. (You do not need to do this if you have previously applied for free school meals.)
Other school years and nurseries
Families who receive the following are eligible for free school meals:
- income support
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
- income-related employment and support allowance (ESA)
- guarantee element of state pension credit
- Universal Credit (with an annual income of less than £7,400)
- Both income-based and contribution-based JSA/ESA if you receive the same amount for both. You should also qualify if you receive both but the income-based amount is greater, but not if the contribution-based amount is greater.
- Families who are awarded Child Tax Credit and have an annual income, as assessed by HMRC, not in excess of £16,190 are also eligible to claim free school meals providing there is no entitlement to Working Tax Credit (unless in respect of a 4-week ‘run-on’).
If you need any support with this process, then please contact Mrs Evans in the office.
To apply, please follow this link: